2019 Advanced Grazing School
The school will be led by forage specialists from the NRCS & Virginia Cooperative Extension. We will also be joined by , Dr. Tom Griggs, forage specialist with WVU. Tom has spent his career working with grazing-focused producers across the U.S.
“This school is designed for experienced managers seeking to better understand advanced forage management concepts and intensify their grazing management. You will learn how to:
- Identify specific benchmarks for livestock on forage diets.
- Incorporate performance-enhancing forages into your system
- Use strategic supplementation to complement forage nutrition
- Better understand animal and plant physiology
- Allocate forages to maximize intake and economic return
The field portion of the school will be held at Swallow Hill Farm—producers of grass-fed beef, lamb, and goat, which is direct-marketed on the farm. Join us to tour Swallow Hills diverse and high quality forage system including annuals, alfalfa, orchardgrass, novel fescue, and native warm season perennials. We will finish the day with an opportunity to visit the farm store and learn about planning, processing, and marketing grassfed meat.
Click Events Tab for registration information.